Let us start by knowing that we have come across many exams, interviews, and other activities where Group Discussion is one part. Probably it is mainly seen in interviews. In our article, we have discussed the latest Group Discussion Ideas, examples, recent GD topics for Interviews. Further, we will try to understand things related to Group discussion and other related details.
Before discussing the latest Group Discussion Ideas, we will try to understand Group discussion and its importance. Group Discussion, or GD, is a type of discussion which involves people sharing thoughts, ideas, activities, etc. Further, as the name “Group Discussion” says, group means many people, and discussion means exchanging ideas between two or more people. Therefore, we can say that it is the discussion that is happening between many people. Many MBA colleges keep group discussions as one of the rounds for the selection, including IIMs. For further details of the IIM admission process, Click Here. In our earlier articles we have covered the details of the CAT exam eligibility, and more.
Why Group Discussion?
So, it is a normal question that will arise in our minds. Group discussion is essential to check the soft skills of the person. Commonly it is used in the Interview to shortlist the candidates. Further, it will test your communication skills, teamwork, personality skills, confidence, problem-solving skills, leadership qualities, etc. Hence, many companies conduct GD to know whether candidates have qualities/skills to accomplish the company’s goals. So, we have tried to gather Group Discussion Ideas
Imporatnce of Group Discussion
Let us now understand why GD is important before knowing Group Discussion ideas. Below we have listed some points which will help you to understand the importance of GD.
- In the first place, it will increase your confidence level. It means it will help you speak in front of the public without hesitation.
- For sure, it will help you to improve your communication skills. Speaking in front of the public, saying your views, and asking questions will help you increase your communication skills.
- On the other hand, it will also help you to increase your listening skills. To respond in GD, having good listening skills is essential. Also, sometimes you must summarize the discussion; your listening skills will help you at this point. So, it’s not about only speaking. Listening also equally important.
- Then, Group discussion completely depends on teamwork. In any company working as a team plays a major role. So, due to this factoring company will check the candidate’s working as a team ability.
- In GD, topics for the discussion will be given on the spot. Then, you may get 3 – 5 minutes for the preparations. So, it is a small duration; it will check with your deep thinking on the given topic. It means how you can bring your points in a short time period.
- Lastly, it will remove your hesitation of speaking in front of the public. Probably, you will face some difficulty at the start, but after a few group discussions, you will gain confidence. So, it will help you to remove hesitation.
Rules of the Group Discussion
Even in GD, we follow some rules as it is essential to know which candidates fit into the company. It’s not only how you talk is important, but it is equally important how you are following the rules. Below we have listed a few of them.
- Introduction, it is important for you to give your introduction before you say your point. Don’t directly jump into the content; tell your name before you start for the first time.
- Then, be confident when speaking; it’s equally difficult to talk in GD for everyone else. But, be confident and tell your point, don’t hesitate and lose your points.
- Don’t fight; it is a group discussion. It means don’t become aggressive, tell your point of view in a good manner.
- Most importantly, allow others to speak as well. It means to let other people complete his/her point. If you only try to tell your point and not listening to others, that will also create a negative impression.
- Lastly, take care of your body language and try to take the initiative, which means try to speak first.
Important GD Topics
Check some of the important Group Discussion Ideas/examples.
- Abstract Topics – these topics will check candidates can interpret things or not. It will check your creativity for a given topic. Some examples are Failure a life lesson, Black and White, IOS v/s Android, etc.
- Current Affairs Topics – It is about how much candidates are aware of National and International Policies, their features, benefits associated, problems, related issues, etc. So, for this particular topic, you must read the newspaper daily.
- Business & Economic Topics – How well candidates know the latest business trends, business, and Economy, major business initiatives impacting the Economy. Some of the examples are Should There be a Quota System in Business World Alike Educational Institutes? Is the Indian Economy Still on the Same BPL? Discuss, Globalization – Effects on India, Industrial Rise/Fall – Impacts of COVID-19 Coronavirus, etc.
- Social Issues Topics – Lastly, we have social issues. Some examples are Climate Change Summit, Education System of India, Child Development and Divorce, etc.
Latest Group Discussion (GD) Topics/Ideas
Below are the latest Group Discussion Topics/Examples
- COVID-19: Impact on Global Economy
- COVID-19: Importance of Spending more money on Public Health Measures
- Online education, work from home: Have we arrived in the virtual world
- Work From Home, A New Phenomenon.
- Indian opposition parties ensure to oppose only
- Netas are no more privileged class now.
- Our Netas fight and don’t contest in elections
- Coronavirus and lockdown has exposed social inequality in modern India
- Work from home should become a law
- Work from Home is a desirable option for employees.
- Indian Opposition doesn’t oppose with positivity
- The opposition shouldn’t oppose only
GD Topics for Interview
There are many latest group discussion topics, we have only listed few Group Discussion ideas for the interview.
- Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC)
- Formal degrees are things of the past
- Work from home – Pros & Cons
- Impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on Global economy.
- Is Technology making us less human?
- Placement scenario in India
- Data Localisation – Benefits & Challenges
- Crisis in the Automobile Industry
- China is lagging behind India in software.
- The quota system should be completely removed.
- There is a serious lack of work-life balance these days.
- National Recruitment Agency – Pros & Challenges.
- Impact of Technology on jobs
- The Future of work
- Why is CAB Good or Bad, Wrong?
- Has Demonetization impacted the Indian Economy?
- The scarcity of water will push the world to war.
- Opportunistic Coalition Governments are an insult to the mandate
- We mock the ‘Swachh Bharat’ Campaign.
- E-learning – Pros & Challenges
- Money or Happiness – Can money make us happy?
- Lessons for the world from COVID-19 pandemic.
- Print Media vs. Digital Media
- Electric vehicles in India
- Should political parties be brought under RTI Act?
- How prepared is India to tackle the COVID-19 outbreak?
- Role of India in United Nations
Conclusion – Group Discussion Ideas
In the article, we have added details of Group Discussion Ideas/examples. Further, you will also find the latest group discussion/GD topics for the Interview. Group discussion is essential for interviews and admissions. So, after clearing the written test, you need to give GD, where many candidates will remove based on performance. Many students are intelligent, but they fail to speak in front of all, or they hesitate to keep their point in from of the public, for any company having good communication skills. Confidence, leadership skills, etc., are essential. So, prepare yourself for the GD; you cannot avoid it. Even after clearing all rounds, if you don’t clear this round, you aren’t selected. Therefore we suggest you improve your communication skills. We tried to help you by providing group discussion examples. Then, good luck with your preparations.
Further, if you are looking for the CAT exam details like syllabus, pattern, books, tips, etc. Read More
Group Discussion is defined as a discussion that will happen among many people (10 – 15) on certain topics.
Many companies conducted GD to check candidates’ communication skills, deep thinking, teamwork, leadership skill, listening skills, etc., as these are essential to work in any company.
GD usually features 10 to 15 participants, and the time given for preparation is 3 to 5 minutes.
Editor’s Note | Group Discussion Ideas
In brief, you will find the details of GD topics for the Interview; we have tried to add the latest Group Discussion Ideas. Further, GD is essential when it comes to Interviews and MBA entrance exams. So, you cannot avoid this section; once you clear the written test, you must give GD. This section needs confidence and communication skills. We understand it is difficult to speak in front of many, but that is completely okay. Because another person in the discussion is equally nervous, it is natural. So, we suggest you prepare well and don’t be nervous. You need to clear the exam. Then, to help you with the preparation, we have listed the rules of the GD, which are the main topics and some GD topics for the interview. We hope this article will add some points for the preparations.