In the first place, in our previous article, we have discussed the CMAT exam registration details and CMAT exam paper pattern. Then, there are many other things to be taken care of. Today, in this article, we will discuss the CMAT exam syllabus. Understanding the syllabus of any exam is very essential. We will help you by adding the details of the CMAT syllabus pdf, subjects, and also other related details. So, by the end of this article, you will be having an idea of the CMAT Syllabus.
To begin with, the CMAT stands for Common Management Admission Test and it is held by the National Testing Agency (NTA). It is also one of the exams like other MBA entrance exams namely CAT, XAT, GMAT, NMAT etc. Every exam has its own rules and a method. So, it is advisable to know the details of the exam before applying for it.
CMAT exam Computer-Based (Online) Mode, it happens once a year. Then, it is the National Level PG Entrance Test. So, now let us understand the CMAT subjects/syllabus. Before, know the various sections present in the CMAT exam
- Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
- Logical Reasoning
- Language Comprehension
- General Awareness
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
So, each section contains 25 questions and the CMAT total marks are 500. Then, the time given for the test is 180 minutes (3 hours). As there is an addition of a new section that is Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the time allotted is 30 minutes. For every correct answer, you will get four marks and for the incorrect answer, one mark will be deducted. For the questions which are not attempted, there won’t be any deductions.
Then, for more details on the CMAT exam. Read More.
Let us understand the most important thing in the CMAT syllabus pdf. Below, we have discussed each section in detail. So, understand each section and know all the topics under each section.
Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
So, let us start with the first section, which is Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation. Find all the topics under this section.
So, in this section, you will be checked on mathematical ability to solve numerical questions. You must be aware of basic formulae, tables, squares, cubes. Generally, this section is a scoring one. So, if you practice well and learn some shortcuts and tricks it will surely help you in the exam. It tests your problem-solving skills and basic concepts in mathematics. Then, below we have listed all the topics under this section
- Tabulation, Pie Chart, Bar Chart, and Line Graph
- Pipes and Cisterns
- Permutations and Combinations
- Quadratic and Linear Equations
- Simple Interest
- Compound Interest
- Allegation and Mixtures
- Number Systems
- Fraction and Decimals
- Ratio and Proportion
- Lines, Angles, Triangles, Rectangle etc
- Geometric Progression
- Harmonic Mean
- Venn Diagram
- Set Theory
- Surds & Indices
Logical Reasoning – CMAT Syllabus
Then, next, we have the Logical reasoning section. In this section, you will mainly check how you will analyze the given data and draw conclusions. Extracting the solutions by creative thinking and problem-solving skills. Then, solving such problems may take a lot of time as it needs concentration and creative thinking. We suggest, don’t rush if it’s not happening, leave it to go to next question and come back to the same later. You can practice and give mock tests regularly. Then, check out the below points for all the topics under this section.
- Analytical Reasoning
- Cause and Effects
- Coding and Decoding
- Ranking Tests
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
- Linear Arrangements
- Matrix Arrangements
- Analogy Test
- Symbol Based Problems
- Statements Assumptions
- Statements Arguments
- Number Series
- Blood Relationship Tests
- Statements and Conclusion
- Direction and Distance Test
- Clocks and Calendars
- Matrix Arrangements
- Identifying Arguments
- Identifying Valid Inferences
Then, next in the CMAT exam Syllabus PDF we have Language Comprehension. In this section, you will be checked the ability to correctly process word, phrase meanings, sentence grammar, and discourse or text structure. So, your ability to know and understand the spoken language.
- Sentence Correction
- English Grammar
- Paragraph Completion
- Idioms and Phrases
- Sentence Improvement
- Jumbled Para
- Sentence Errors
- One-word Substitution
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Reading Comprehension
- Odd One Out
- Contextual Usage
- Verbal Reasoning
Then, next, in CMAT subjects, we have General Awareness, as the name itself says that, it’s all about understanding and knowing the things around the country. So, have a habit of reading the newspaper till you finish the examination. Below we have mentioned which are topics are essential. Try to focus on the important concepts rather than on other unimportant topics in the newspaper, it will save your time.
- Indian Constitution
- Current Affairs on National and International Economy
- Personalities in News
- Trade Awareness
- Sports News
- Science in Everyday Life
- World Records
Books for the Preparation
Then, now we will know which are the best books to cover the CMAT exam syllabus subjects. So, we have listed a few books below.
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT – Arun Sharma (Mc Graw Hill Education), this particular book comes for all the other sections as well. You can refer to this book for all the section such as logical and language comprehension.
- A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
- Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT Common Admission Tests for Admission Into IIMs – Sarvesh K Verma (Arihant)
- Then, Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations – Abhijit Guha
- NCERT Mathematics Books
- Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT and Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K Sinha (Pearson Edition)
- Quantitative Aptitude – Dr RS Aggarwal
- Then, by TIME we have, Trishna’s Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT
- Lastly, some of the newspapers for the general studies are The Hindu, Financial Express, The Financial Times, Wall Street Journal
There are many sources available, we have listed the most recommended one.
Tips and Suggestions
So, now you are completely aware of the syllabus and which books to refer to. Then, if you are thinking about how to cover all the topics, we will give you some tips for exam preparation. Know the below points.
- In the first place, make a proper time table and allot time for each section equally. Then, cover all the topics in each section. Before all this, you must be aware of the pattern and the syllabus of the exam. So, understand it, you can refer to previous year question papers.
- Then, know your skills which means understand in which section you are strong and for which section you need practice. As it is always better to improve your skills. So, focus more on those topics where you need to improve. But, at the same time don’t neglect other sections.
- Next, cultivate a habit of reading the newspaper at least till you finish the exam. As it is also one of the section. Then, you can make notes in your words, it will help you in the exam time.
- One of the most important things is to revise. No matter how much you study, if you don’t revise it will be difficult to remember the things.
- Then, give mock tests regularly. As it will help you to know your skills and in which section you need improvement. Also, you will learn time management skills.
To conclude, you will find the details of the CMAT exam syllabus pdf, subjects. We have added all the detail of the CMAT syllabus sections and topics under each section. So, if you are writing the exam, this article will surely help you. In the first place, understand the pattern of the exam, then start preparing for the exam. Also, we have added the book details for different sections, you can prefer according to your need. Then, We wish you good luck with the exam.
For more details on the CAT, GMAT, XAT, NMAT, etc. Visit the website.
FAQs – CMAT Syllabus
Lastly, we have added a few FAQs for a better understanding.
The CMAT exam syllabus mainly contains five sections namely Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
Lastly, Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
Yes, it is almost the same but in the CMAT exam pattern, there is a section called General Awareness.
Yes, according to experts, it is much easier to crack the CMAT exam. So, practice well and study for the exam.
Editor’s Note | CMAT Syllabus
In brief, in the above article, we have added the details of the CMAT subjects, syllabus PDF. Then, you will also find some books for the exam preparations. Understanding the syllabus of the exam is very essential. So, know the exam syllabus very well and start preparing for the exam. Also, we have added some tips, which will help you for the exam. Then, if you have a plan of writing the exam, this article will surely help you. Lastly, good luck with the CMAT exam.