MBA is one of the top prioritized careers among today’s generation now. And why wouldn’t it be? This career is giving them an opportunity to achieve further success in the future. But, it is not as simple as it seems to be. Before all of it, aspirants need to get into a top B-school at first. And, that is possible via CAT examination. If aspirants are able to reach the CAT cutoff percentile for IIM, they can get into the institutions. But let me remind you CAT IIM cut off is quite tough to achieve. However, in this following article, you will get to know all about it.
What is CAT Exam?
Newbie’ may wonder, what is CAT? Common Admission Test aka Cat is a computer-based admission test. Of course, this test is for the management program. This exam was started by IIM (Indian Institute of Management). Well, the purpose of CAT is to select qualified students for MBA and PGDM courses. That’s why the CAT cutoff percentile is so much important. It is 2 hours exam. To appear in the exam, candidates have to have Bachelor’s Degree with 50% marks or Equiv. GPA. Although final year UG students can also apply for the exam. The fee structure is – Rs. 1900/- (Gen) and Rs. 900/- (ST/SC/DA). There are three parts to the exam. They are –
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
- Quantitative Ability (QA)
We will discuss the IIM cutoff further in this article. But before that check out the brief intro about the CAT syllabus. It will give you the idea of why CAT cut off is hard to achieve.
A Brief Introduction to CAT Syllabus
Like UPSC, CAT also has a vast syllabus. But the problem is IIM does not have any particular syllabus for it. Mostly middle school Math and English topics are included in the syllabus. This generalized syllabus is based on the previous year’s questions. And it makes CAT cut off for IIM a great deal to aspirants.
- QA – Geometry, LCM & HCF, Algebra. Time and Work. Number system and Mensuration. Profit and Loss, Percentages, Simple and Compound interest. Trigonometry.
- DILR – Tables, graphs, Venn Diagrams, Pie Charts. Binary Logic, Logical matching, and Sequences. Blood relations.
- VARC – Grammar, vocabulary, correction of sentence. Reading comprehension and summary. Verbal reasoning, cloze paragraph, Para-jumbles, etc.
These previously mentioned are important topics in the syllabus. Check out further to know more.
Also, Read: CAT Syllabus 2021 – Download MBA CAT Exam Syllabus PDF
Types of CAT Cut Off and Difference Between Them
As you can guess from the heading the IIM CAT cutoff has two types. They are qualifying cut offs and final cut offs. And as you can see, there are some relative differences between them. Let’s check them out now.
- Qualifying cutoffs are also known as shortlisting cutoffs. It is the minimum mark that candidates have to obtain before the interview round. Otherwise, he or she will not be considered eligible. On the other hand, IIMs set the final cut off mark as per their preferences. They set it up for the selection of candidates in the WAT round.
- Even if candidates meet the qualifying CAT cut off, they may not enter the WAT round. Likewise, obtaining final cut off marks doesn’t mean they are selected for admission.
- Normally qualifying cutoffs are fixed before the exam. On the contrary, final CAT cut offs are being decided after the exam.
- Each campus announces the qualifying CAT percentile during their notification of admission. Meanwhile, any IIM or MBA colleges do not announce the final CAT percentile officially.
- Qualifying CAT cut off for IIM is 90%. While final cutoffs are above 90-95% according to respective IIMs.
Top 14 IIM Cut offs (CAT Percentiles) in India
Further below, you will find CAT percentiles for the top 15 IIMs in our country. However, IIM cut off for the general category has always been high. But for other categories, it may vary. Here in this article, we have only mentioned the general percentiles. Have a look at them.
Importance of CAT Cutoff marks in B-schools
- It’s a national-level exam. So, countless colleges in India approve CAT percentiles during admission. However, there are some famous institutions on this list too. They are IMT Ghaziabad, XLRI Jamshedpur, FMS University of Delhi, etc.
- Those schools not only accept IIM cutoffs but also provide excellent placements. And it allows students to step into a bright future.
- CAT Cut off for IIMs is not just an entrance exam for MBA. It also determines candidates’ ability. Because the corporate world is more competitive and has pressure than others. The computer-based exam tests their knowledge and skills in QA, DILR, and VARC.
Those are some of the perks of the CAT exam. But apart from that, there are also other ways to pursue the dream. Like CAT, there are MAT, CMAT, NMAT by GMAC, CET, XAT, etc. Some of them are national-level while some are state-level. However, all of them can help you if you want to continue your work towards a management career. There are some factors that also determine your chances of reaching IIM cutoffs. And basically, that solely depends on the institutes. Because through these factors these institutes choose the deserving aspirants. They are –
- How high rank that institute has.
- The difficulty of the entrance exam.
- No. of appearing students vs. No. of passing students.
- The number of seats in that institute.
So, that’s why I mentioned previously that the CAT cutoff varies for different IIMs. As the rank of IIM rises so does its CAT percentiles.
Go Through: CAT Preparation Online | How to prepare for CAT Exam
How to Prepare for Reaching CAT cut off for IIMs
Although there are many ways to prepare for this exam. But here we’ve gathered some points so that you can easily meet the CAT cut off point. Therefore, it will also help you with self-preparation. Because, as a matter of fact, most of the aspirants want to prepare themselves nowadays.
- At first, try to know your exam. And by that, I mean all about CAT exams – from pattern to syllabus. Analyze the previous year’s questions thoroughly. This way you’ll get to know what you need to set as a priority. Make a study plan according to it.
- After that, the next step is preparing the right study materials. These days there are lots of study materials are available in the market. But that absolutely doesn’t mean all of them are relevant. So, you have the most relevant and up-to-date study materials only. So that your preparation can be solid.
- Then, after the study session, you have to take an online mock test. It will show your position on the ladder of preparation. This step is very important if you are doing a self-prep. Once you take the exam, you can easily find out your mistakes and mend them. However, you can also attend some online classes if you want to. In case, you want to make sure the success.
- If possible, make a study group with your fellow aspirants. It is quite helpful in self-preparation. They can help you to understand what you are lacking. Use the internet in your favor. And lastly, keep yourself motivated and confident. A positive attitude can help you in cracking any exams.
Well, that is difficult to say. Because different IIMs have different CAT percentiles for admission. But most IIM cutoffs vary in between 90-100%.
The CAT exam is a national-level exam. And also highest-ranked B-school approves it. So, if someone wants to pursue this career, it is a wise choice to take the CAT. This mark will surely help them to get into their preferable colleges. But other than that, there are MAT CMAT, etc. Those are also B-school entrance exams. Likewise, some private institutions have their own exams too.
Well, we can’t simply compare these completely two different exams. Because one is for corporate jobs while another one is for Govt. jobs. In fact, their syllabus, pattern, and other things are also different. But UPSC’s wide syllabus makes it more complicated than any other exams though.
Of course, it is possible. Only you have to prepare everything smartly and thoroughly. With a proper study plan and determination, it is not difficult to reach CAT cut off for IIM.
You have to give at least 23-27 hours of study for better preparation. Therefore, 6-7 months of preparation should be enough to crack the exam.
Editor’s Note | CAT Cut off
Finally, don’t think too much about the IIM cutoffs while preparation. It may affect the procedure. So, all that you can do is to get yourself ready. Keep taking mock tests as it is a computer-based exam. You will become more perfect before the exam. Eventually, you will achieve your desired CAT percentiles.